devour definition in the bible

By November 7, 2020Uncategorized

"Devout women of honorable estate" (Acts 13:50), proselytes to Judaism and wives of the men in high position among the heathen (see Josephus, BJ, II, xx, 2). WORDS OF JESUS IN RED. Derived terms: From G2596 and G2068 (including its alternate). Bible > Strong's > Greek > 2719 2719. katesthió Strong's Concordance. How to use a word that (literally) drives some pe... Do you know what languages these words come from? “Devour.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/devour. de-vout' (eulabes, eusebes, sebomai, "pious," "dutiful," "reverential"): The word is peculiar to Luke. Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue. Orr, James, M.A., D.D. Here is devour in the Bible. Can you spell these 10 commonly misspelled words? Tap on the 'Strong's Concordance Details' button for more information including related verses: “And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:”, “And it came to pass, as he sowed, some fell by the way side, and the fowls of the air came and devoured it up.”, “Which devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayers: these shall receive greater damnation.”, “A sower went out to sow his seed: and as he sowed, some fell by the way side; and it was trodden down, and the fowls of the air devoured it.”, “But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf.”, “Which devour widows' houses, and for a shew make long prayers: the same shall receive greater damnation.”, “And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.”, “For ye suffer, if a man bring you into bondage, if a man devour you, if a man take of you, if a man exalt himself, if a man smite you on the face.”, “But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.”, “And I went unto the angel, and said unto him, Give me the little book. Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz. Quotes available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.”. Biblical International Phonetic Alphabet: kɑ.tɛˈsθi.o, Modern International Phonetic Alphabet: kɑ.te̞ˈsθi.ow. Devour, eat, live, used only in certain tenses, the rest being supplied by G5315 Greek: ἐσθίω, esthiō (G2068) 55 King James Bible Verses. katesthió: to eat up. "Devout proselytes" (Acts 13:43, the King James Version "religious proselytes"), with possible reference to the proselytes of righteousness as distinguished from the proselytes of the gate (see Tap or hover on blue, underlined words to see more original scripture and meanings. Devour :1: is a strengthened form of an old verb edo, from the root ed--, whence Lat., edo, Eng., eat. Here is devour in the Bible. Salem Media Group. Click on the 'Strong's Concordance Details' button for more information including related verses. "International Standard Bible Encyclopedia". To devour i.e., forcibly appropriate: widows' property. “Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! de-vout' (eulabes, eusebes, sebomai, "pious," "dutiful," "reverential"): The word is peculiar to Luke. Popups will show translations and definitions based on the original source Scripture. What does the source Greek word κατεσθίω mean and how is it used in the Bible? © 2017 QuotesCosmos ● Home ● About ● Privacy ● Terms ● Principles ● Sitemap ● Contact, And I will execute great vengeance upon them, love the Lord your God with all your heart, examples within Bible verses highlighted in yellow (follow this link to go there), Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. of Article Images Copyright © 2020 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. Below are the English definition details. Devour definition is - to eat up greedily or ravenously. Below are the English definition details. 1915. 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'? Click to pin the displayed definition in place. Accessed 7 Nov. 2020. Popularity rankings are based on search data from the Google AdWords Keyword Planner tool. All rights reserved. Of the consumption of the strength of body and mind by strong emotions. By fire, to devour i.e., to utterly consume, destroy. "Devout Greeks" (Acts 17:4), probably, though not necessarily, proselytes of the gate, heathen by birth, who attended the synagogue services and worshipped God. Bible Concordance. Verse Concepts. "Entry for 'DEVOUT'". Copyright © 2020, Bible Study Tools. "Devout persons" (Acts 17:17), proselytes of the gate. devour definition: 1. to eat something eagerly and in large amounts so that nothing is left: 2. to destroy something…. Tools. Learn more. Therefore you will receive greater condemnation. We'll send you an email with steps on how to reset your password. The King James Bible (1611) and Strong's Concordance (1890) with Hebrew and Greek dictionaries are sourced from the BibleForgeDB database (https://github.com/bibleforge) within the BibleForge project (http://bibleforge.com). (Root in WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV) Matthew 23:13 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! What does the source Greek word κατεσθίω mean and how is it used in the Bible? HELPS Word-studies. Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free! DEVOUT. Garden Of Eden, The Eden Anticipation. AM. How to use devour in a sentence. (WEB) Matthew 23:14 Woe … Also below are examples within Bible verses highlighted in yellow (follow this link to go there). Send us feedback. "Devout proselytes" (Acts 13:43, the King James Version "religious proselytes"), with possible reference to the proselytes of righteousness as distinguished from the proselytes of the gate (see PROSELYTE). Applied to Simeon (), Cornelius (Acts 10:2,7), Ananias (). The form ephagon, used as the 2nd Aorist Tense of this Encyclopedias - International Standard Bible Encyclopedia - Devout, California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. Before them a fire devours,And behind them a flame burns;Before them the land is like the Garden of Eden,But behind them a desolate wilderness;And nothing at all escapes them. Here are devour, eat, live and related words in the Bible. Tap or hover on blue, underlined words to see more original scripture and meanings. Joel 2:5 Joel 2:5. And he said unto me, Take it, and eat it up; and it shall make thy belly bitter, but it shall be in thy mouth sweet as honey.”, “And I took the little book out of the angel's hand, and ate it up; and it was in my mouth sweet as honey: and as soon as I had eaten it, my belly was bitter.”, “And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed.”, “And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.”, “And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.”. Applied to Simeon (Luke 2:25), Cornelius (Acts 10:2,7), Ananias (Acts 22:12). These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'devour.' The zoo’s behemoth pachyderms got to stomp, crush and, The caterpillars of cabbage white butterflies, known as cabbage worms, will, Briton Roger Penrose, German Reinhard Genzel and American Andrea Ghez explained to the world these dead ends of the cosmos that, And permafrost is thawing deeper and farther north, which activates microbes that, Various financial vultures have always excelled at getting richer just as the working class is hung out to dry, and private equity appears increasingly well-positioned to, Kadouri and Nancy Connell, a microbial geneticist at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, have dosed Bdellovibrios into the lungs of rats and mice and watched them, With enough heat to melt the Arctic’s ice three to four times over, the blob could, Post the Definition of devour to Facebook, Share the Definition of devour on Twitter. For you devour widows' houses, and as a pretense you make long prayers. Fire Of Judgement No Escape. Devour (118 Occurrences) Matthew 13:4 As he sowed, some seeds fell by the roadside, and the birds came and devoured them. Hover on the underlined Bible text in the verses on this page (as shown). Also below are examples within Bible verses highlighted in yellow (follow this link to go there). PROSELYTE). Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Bibliography Information Delivered to your inbox! Proud member What made you want to look up devour? Information sourced from Strong's Concordance[1]. Below are the English definition details. 'Nip it in the butt' or 'Nip it in the bud'? This page was last modified on July 2, 2017 at 03:10 AM. Definition: To eat up, i.e., devour (literally or figuratively). Test Your Knowledge - and learn some interesting things along the way. Original Word: κατεσθίω Part of Speech: Verb Transliteration: katesthió Phonetic Spelling: (kat-es-thee'-o) Definition: to eat up Usage: I eat up, eat till it is finished, devour, squander, annoy, injure. Tap on the underlined Bible text in the verses on this page (as shown below). devour: See: consume , despoil , destroy , efface , eliminate , eradicate , expend , extirpate , obliterate , prey To devour i.e., squander, waste: substance. See the full definition for devour in the English Language Learners Dictionary, Thesaurus: All synonyms and antonyms for devour, Nglish: Translation of devour for Spanish Speakers, Britannica English: Translation of devour for Arabic Speakers. Popups will show translations and definitions based on the original source Scripture. 14th century, in the meaning defined at sense 1, Middle English, from Anglo-French devour-, stem of devorer, from Latin devorare, from de- + vorare to devour — more at voracious. General Editor. Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible). What does the source Greek word ἐσθίω mean and how is it used in the Bible?

Marshall Kilburn Cream, Land Of The Lost Cast 1970, County Council Planning, Tod Weston Smith, Destiel Canon Fanfiction,

Leave a Reply