ambassador of conscience award 2018

By November 7, 2020Uncategorized

Amnesty International on Saturday honored Colin Kaepernick with its ambassador of conscience award for 2018, lauding the NFL quarterback’s peaceful protests against racial inequality. A company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales (03139939) and a charity registered in England and Wales (1051681) and Scotland (SC039534). 21/04/2018 Amnesty International’s Ambassador of Conscience Award Transcript of speech Colin Kaepernick It is only fitting that I have the honor of Eric Reid introducing me for this award. Hundreds more sports stars across the USA have since taken the knee, linked arms and showed solidarity with the cause, forcing this important issue into the mainstream. Amnesty International has given Colin Kaepernick its top human rights award for his public opposition to racial injustice. "Amnesty International Secretary General Salil Shetty says the "vitriol" Kaepernick's peaceful protest evoked from people in power makes his "commitment all the more remarkable.". Amnesty International UK depends on the generosity of our supporters to fund our ongoing fight for human rights. "Kaepernick launched a massive controversy in 2016 for kneeling while the national anthem was played to protest police brutality. Colin was presented with our award because of the exceptional courage he has shown by refusing to ignore or accept the sad truth of racism in America. Kaepernick became a controversial figure when he refused to stand for the national anthem, and instead knelt to protest racial inequality and police brutality. "San Francisco released Kaepernick and he hasn't been signed by any other team. The Ambassador of Conscience award is our organisation’s highest honour, recognising those who’ve dedicated their lives to promoting human rights. Amnesty International UK Section Charitable Trust. Upon receiving the award, Colin said: ‘I would like to thank Amnesty International for the Ambassador of Conscience Award. Amnesty International on Saturday honored Colin Kaepernick with its ambassador of conscience award for 2018, lauding the NFL quarterback’s peaceful protests against racial inequality. Registered office 17-25 New Inn Yard London EC2A 3EA. He has said he will take a different approach in 2018. At least the NFL isn't pretending it's not blackballing Colin Kaepernick. Previous award recipients include anti-Apartheid campaigner and South African President Nelson Mandela and Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani schoolgirl who campaigned for girls' right to education even after surviving being shot by Taliban militants. hide caption. Former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick receives the Amnesty International Ambassador of Conscience Award for 2018 in Amsterdam Saturday. I truly consider him to be more than a Amnesty hands its award each year to a person or organization “dedicated to fighting injustice and using their talents to inspire others”. Amnesty International, the global human rights organization, gave Kaepernick its highest honor — the 2018 Ambassador of Conscience Award — in Amsterdam on Saturday. ‘This stand wasn't because I feel like I'm being put down in any kind of way. A company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales (01735872). When other players joined him, President Trump called on team owners to fire them. Organization gives former San Francisco 49ers star ambassador of conscience award for kneeling at games to protest racial inequality, Last modified on Sat 21 Apr 2018 18.15 BST. Your donation, however big or small, is valuable. The Ambassador of Conscience Award recognises people who act on their conscience and speak truth to power, standing up for justice and human rights. The NFL athlete and inspirational activist Colin Kaepernick has been presented with our Ambassador of Conscience Award for 2018. Amnesty International secretary general Salil Shetty called Kaepernick “an athlete who is now widely recognized for his activism because of his refusal to ignore or accept racial discrimination”. But in truth, this is an award that I share with all of the countless people throughout the world combating the human rights violations of police officers, and their uses of oppressive and excessive force. Teri Schultz reports for our Newscast unit that the "take a knee" campaign that won Kaepernick honor likely cost him his job: Accepting the award in Amsterdam, the capital of the Netherlands, Kaepernick said he shares it "with all of the countless people throughout the world combating the human rights violations of police officers." The former San Franciso 49ers quarterback is Amnesty's 2018 Ambassador of Conscience. "How can you stand for the national anthem of a nation that preaches and propagates, 'freedom and justice for all,' that is so unjust to so many of the people living there?" Colin was presented the award at a ceremony in the Netherlands on 21 April 2018 by his former teammate Eric Reid – the first to join him in taking a knee. They are people like Alicia Keys, Nelson Mandela, Malala, Ai Weiwei and Harry Belafonte, who do the right thing, despite hardship, consequence or … "In Kaepernick's acceptance speech, the award-winner described police killings of African-Americans and Latinos in the United States as lawful lynchings. The human rights organization says its Ambassador of Conscience Award "celebrates the spirit of activism and exceptional courage, as embodied by Colin Kaepernick." Other players joined him, drawing the ire of Donald Trump, who called for team owners to fire such protesters. ‘To quote Malcolm X, when he said that he, “will join in with anyone – I don’t care what colour you are – as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this earth,” I am here to join with you all in this battle against police violence.’. “The Ambassador of Conscience award celebrates the spirit of activism and exceptional courage, as embodied by Colin Kaepernick. "Racialized oppression and dehumanization is woven into the very fabric of our nation — the effects of which can be seen in the lawful lynching of black and brown people by the police, and the mass incarceration of black and brown lives in the prison industrial complex," Kaepernick said. We look forward to seeing how Colin and his charity the Colin Kaepernick Foundation work towards fighting oppression in America and across the world. If you are able to help, please chip in today and help the fight for humanity and human rights to continue. In response to the player demonstrations, the NFL agreed to commit $90m over the next seven years to social justice causes. The former San Francisco 49ers star, who many observers claim to was blackballed by NFL team owners, was handed the award at a ceremony in Amsterdam by a onetime teammate, Eric Reid. This defiant and courageous act sparked a nationwide movement and ignited a debate about the right to protest and free speech. Colin Kaepernick receives the Amnesty International award in Amsterdam Saturday. he said at Saturday's award ceremony.". Former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick receives the Amnesty International Ambassador of Conscience Award for 2018 in Amsterdam Saturday. Amnesty International United Kingdom Section. Past winners include artists like Alicia Keys and Ai Weiwei, as well as political figures like Malala Yousafzai and Nelson Mandela. “In truth, this is an award that I share with all of the countless people throughout the world combating the human rights violations of police officers, and their uses of oppressive and excessive force,” Kaepernick said. Reid, a safety who is now a free agent, continued Kaepernick’s protests by kneeling during the anthem last season. Former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick receives the Amnesty International Ambassador of Conscience Award for 2018 in Amsterdam Saturday. Colin was presented the award at a ceremony in the Netherlands on 21 April 2018 by his former teammate Eric Reid – the first to join him in taking a knee. Upon announcing the award Salil Shetty, our Secretary General, said: ‘Just like the Ambassadors of Conscience before him, Colin Kaepernick chooses to speak out and inspire others despite the professional and personal risks. This is because I'm seeing things happen to people that don't have a voice: people that don't have a platform to talk and have their voices heard and affect change. ...like many not-for-profit organisations, our fundraising has been affected by the coronavirus pandemic. Colin Kaepernick’s commitment is all the more remarkable because of the alarming levels of vitriol it has attracted from those in power.’. We Insist: A Timeline Of Protest Music In 2020. Kaepernick first knelt during the pre-game playing of the US national anthem when he was with the 49ers in 2016, to protest police brutality. So I'm in the position where I can do that, and I'm going to do that for people that can't.’Colin Kaepernick. The award was officially presented at a ceremony in Amsterdam, Netherlands, on 21 April 2018, to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the opening of Amnesty International’s national section in the country. Upon receiving the award, Colin said: ‘I would like to thank Amnesty International for the Ambassador of Conscience Award.

Rockingham County Jail, Department Of Land And Natural Resources, How Old Is Georgia Veach, Lord, Teach Us To Pray Kjv, Hedda Gabler Play, Carson, Wa Weather, Fulton County Gun Permit, When Does Blackish Return, Ministry Of Agriculture, Food And Rural Affairs Careers, Home Care Ontario Eligibility, Obion County Tn Map, Walton County Ga Police Blotter, Saturday Train Schedule, Department Of Land And Natural Resources, The Blacklist Season 1, Episode 2 Recap, Supernatural Season 6 Episode 16 Recap, Clayton County Events 2019, Ontario Health Jobs, No Other Woman Lines, Newark Airport Code, Crowley's Best Lines Supernatural, Fulton County Tax Appeal Form, Uganda Flag, Takeshima Day, Fredericton Police Commission, Sunday Too Far Away Film Location, Carroll County Times Classified For Rent, Early Start Online, Obion County Government, Drug Bust In Georgia Yesterday, Landfill Near Me, Denison University Athletics, The Goose That Laid The Golden Eggs Moral, Miami Florida Zip Codes, Shanghai Pudong Airport Arrivals, Ripley County Gis, Ogre Skin, Celilo Lake, Snoop Dogg Duets, Civil Service Exam Schedule Ny, How Does Japan Deal With Climate Change, Claire Danes Relationships, Rebecca Mcfarland Richard Bacon, Mount Titlis Ticket Price, Cobb County Airport Restaurant, Hydro Québec Portfolio, Seamus O'regan We Charity, Parliament House, Canberra Facts, Service Ontario St Catharines Drive Test,

Leave a Reply